Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Echo Point I

I've decided to circumvent the noise, crime and expensive hubbub of Sydney for the peace and tranquility of Katoomba, high up in the Blue Mountains. This is a very popular tourist region, situated only about 90 mins away from Sydney, and with lots of things to see and do, most of it very accessible. I may take a day trip into Sydney tomorrow, if so I shall duly report on it with pics, etc.

When I arrived at my hotel on Monday I went just over the hill to Echo Point, one of Australia's most famous lookout points. In addition to presenting a stunning panoramic view of the mountains, it also provides a good look at the Three Sisters, possibly the most famous cliff formation in the country after Ayers Rock. They're what's (currently) left of a ridge, which has been eroded by wind and water. In a few thousand years, they, too will be gone.

All pics from Echo Point here.

The three sisters.
DSCN6381

With the Jamison Valley behind.
DSCN6376

This ridge is known as Mount Solitary.
DSCN6378

Dem valleys be blue.
DSCN6386

It has been speculated that vapor from the eucalyptuses break up the sunlight more than usual, increasing the blue tint.
DSCN6449

It does look like a fairyland, doesn't it?
DSCN6397

No comments: